Here is another quick, easy, and addicting sweet treat! I wouldn’t call this super healthy but when you’re having a sugar/chocolate/texture craving this will be your new go to. Plus it fills you up!
This recipe has some interesting roots on it. It was an odd favorite when I was growing up; I think it developed from times when we were low on groceries in the house…dessert is still necessary (daily!) so we got creative. It all started with watching my dad put peanut butter on his store-bought chocolate chip cookies (weird), then my brother mixing a bowl full of semi-sweet chocolate chips with peanut butter (weirder), which finally led to me adding oatmeal to peanut butter and chocolate chips (weirdest, but SO good!).
I thought I would share this simple joy, plus if you need a sweet pick-me-up you almost always have these 3 ingredients at home. I’ve modified this recipe just a little for my allergies, but it still tastes like it did when I was a kid! It’s all about the texture here, and hey oatmeal adds fiber! Enjoy!
- 1/3 cup Gluten-Free Oats
- 1/4 cup Enjoy Life Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- In a cereal bowl mix the oats and peanut butter.
- Work in the chocolate chips and that’s it! You’re done! Eat up!
- You can make this mixture in any amount that you like, big or small. These are rough measurements. The general rule of thumb is 2 parts oats/chocolate chips to 1 part peanut butter. This will also keep well if you can actually stop yourself from finishing it in one sitting! Life’s too short…just eat it!
What crazy recipes have you come up with in a pinch when you are severely in need of a good sugar fix?
Hungry Egg Sandwich
Some days there’s just nothing like kicking things off with a good fried egg sandwich (almost every day in my case…I’m addicted to these sandwiches!)! I’m sure everyone has their favorite version of this sandwich and mine will vary depending on my mood and how much time I have to throw it together. This is so simple and quick, plus it will keep you satisfied so that you can take on the day no matter what you have to do. Plus these sandwiches can feed just you, your family, or your hungry neighborhood…they are so quick that once you get that pan warmed up you can cook ’em up to your heart’s content! I say go for it and don’t make the mistake of limiting yourself to just breakfast here, I eat these any and all times of the day – breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night snack…I think I’ll go make one right now!
Ingredients (per sandwich):
That’s it! That’s really all you need, 3 basic ingredients that I always keep on hand. If this is too plain for you then add toppings, get crazy, you can add mayo, tomatoes, avocado, bacon, pesto…whatever floats your boat!
- Toast your bread, and while the toaster is doing it’s job –
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and fry eggs on medium heat until they are cooked to your preferred level of doneness (I like mine over-medium)
- Once the toast is done, put the cheese on the toast, pop your egg(s) on top and voila you are done my friend; eat up before it gets cold!
- If you have a gluten free bread you prefer over Udi’s please let me know; right now Udi’s is my holy grail of gluten free bread. I drive all over town to find it when my grocery store is sold out! I’m always open to exploring new options, and some bread textures are better for different recipes. For these egg sandwiches I love the light and crispy crunch of toasted Udi (yummm!!) let me know what brand you love!
- As far as cheese goes, I’ve been eating Heini’s Greek Yogurt Cheese, some supermarket delis are starting to carry it, it’s lactose free (although I don’t think lactose is really my issue, I suspect casein is my enemy, but lactose is all I can handle giving up right now!) and it’s the closest thing I can find to American Cheese that works for me. Plus, if you cut a slice in half it fits perfectly on each piece of Udi bread!
Open Faced Style…look your sandwich straight in the eye!
Enjoy your sandwich(s)! Are you going to add toppings or are you a purist?